2. food, food, food. presentation, simplicity, yumminess.
3. balloons. on the ceiling, on the floor.
4. karaoke! avoid going out to a stuffy bar where everyone is hogging up the song book. try homemade karaoke. all you need is a mic and this.
5. music. if you can't find a good dj (ahem), try any of these (free) stones throw podcasts (57: soul with a hole is always a hit!)
6. lights. disco, christmas, strobe. your choice.
8. selective invites. no one likes a snapper, stick with the positive guests.
9. keep it light. no one (except for my husband, maybe) wants to talk politics, over intellectualize, or debate over the war at a party (save that for your next dinner engagement). eat, drink, laugh and dance. forget the stuff that consumes your mind on an average day. just have a good time.
and now, a word from beet.